Healthy Recipe Series
Technically, there is no crust in a quiche, but the addition of flour makes for a delicious crusty bottom and sides to this dish.
1 medium onion, diced
6-oz fresh baby spinach
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
A pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/3 cups almond milk
1/2 cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly grease a 10-inch quiche/tart pan (or a pie plate)
- In a medium frying pan, cook diced onion with a bit of vegetable oil (or cooking spray) over medium-high heat until translucent and tender.
- Add in fresh spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes In a large mixing bowl, then whisk the eggs together with flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk in milk, then, stir in spinach-onion mixture.
- Pour quiche base into prepared pan. Top with feta cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until center is set and the outside edge is golden brown.
- Let set for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
Serve alone or with fruit or steamed asparagus and white wine.
More recipes to follow in next month's newsletter
Use a small amount of skinless smoked turkey breast instead of fatback to lower the fat content but keep the taste.
3 cups water
1/4 pound smoked turkey breast, skinless
1 tablespoon hot pepper, freshly chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 stalk scallion, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, ground
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 pounds greens (mustard, turnip, collard, kale, or mixture)
Place all ingredients except greens into large saucepan and bring to a boil. Prepare greens by washing thoroughly and removing stems. Tear or
slice leaves into bite-size pieces. Add greens to turkey stock. Cook 20 to 30 minutes until tender.
Recipe makes 5 servings Smothered Greens; serving size is 1 cup.
Nutrition information per serving:
Saturated fat less than 1g
1.5. chicken pieces, skin removed
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 lemon, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or one teaspoon dried)
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 medium, sweet green pepper, cut into strips
1 medium, sweet red pepper, cut into strips
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Lihtly coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
Cook chicken over medium heat until light brown (about 15 minutes), turning once. Reduce heat.
Sprinkle garlic, lemon, half of tomato, onion, parsley and oregano over chicken pieces in skillet.
Add wine and broth.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes
Add remaining tomato and sweet peppers, cover and continue to simmer for 7-10 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
Nutrition Per Serving
Total Fat: 1.4 g
Cholesterol: 16.1 mg
Sodium: 465.2 mg
Total Carbs: 14.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1 g
Protein: 10.5 g Calories:109.0
Protein: 10.5 g